A Big Day for the Babies: Their First Home Outside 🐥🦆

 A Big Day for the Babies: Their First Home Outside 🐥🦆

By Marcia – The Oklahoma Homestead Woman

"The chicks and ducklings settling into their new outdoor brooder. They wasted no time exploring their new home!"

Good morning, friends!

This weekend was a big milestone here on the homestead.

Our growing chicks and ducklings officially moved into their outdoor brooder, and I think they were just as excited about it as I was.

For the last few weeks, they've been growing inside where it was warm and protected. But there comes a time when little birds need more room to stretch their legs, flap their wings, and enjoy some fresh Oklahoma air.

I'll admit, I was a little nervous about that first night.

I checked on them before daylight the next morning, wondering if they had stayed warm enough without a heat lamp. Instead of finding them huddled together, they were already awake, moving around, and acting like they'd lived outside forever.

That was a relief.

After breakfast, they were busy scratching through the dirt, chasing tiny bugs, and exploring every inch of their new home. Watching them follow each other around made me smile. Every day they seem a little braver and a little more independent.

One thing I enjoy about raising poultry is watching those little changes. One day they're tiny fluff balls that need constant care. Before you know it, they're exploring the world with confidence.

The ducklings, of course, were curious about everything. They waddled around inspecting every leaf and twig they could find, while the chicks scratched the ground like little professionals.

It won't be long before these youngsters move into an even larger grow-out pen. By then, another batch of eggs will be hatching in the incubator, and the cycle will begin all over again.

That's one of the things I love most about homesteading.

There is always another season, another project, another hatch, and another reason to step outside with a smile.

These little birds may not realize it yet, but they're helping build something much bigger than a flock.

They're helping build a dream.

Thank you for stopping by my front porch today. I hope you enjoyed meeting some of the newest members of our homestead family.

Until next time...

Bloom Where You're Planted... and if life moves you, bloom there too. 🌻

Comments