A Small Pantry Can Feed a Big Dream

 A Small Pantry Can Feed a Big Dream


From My Front Porch – The Oklahoma Homestead Woman



When people hear the words homestead pantry, they often picture a huge walk-in room lined from floor to ceiling with shelves full of beautiful glass jars. While I hope to have that someday, that's not where my journey begins.

My pantry is just 2 feet by 2 feet.

It's small, but it's one of the hardest-working places in my home.

Every shelf has a purpose. The foods I use the most stay within easy reach. The things I don't use very often are tucked toward the back. Pasta, rice, flour, seasonings, broth, baking supplies, and meal starters all have a place. It may not be fancy, but it helps me put supper on the table without making another trip to the grocery store.

I've learned that homesteading isn't about having the biggest pantry. It's about making the most of the space you have.

As my garden grows, so will my pantry. Home-canned vegetables, chicken, pork, hamburger, tomato sauce, and other pantry staples will slowly replace more store-bought items. Every jar I put on the shelf represents one less thing I'll need to buy later.

That's one of the reasons I'm creating my Preservation Planner and my Pull Up a Chair: Cooking for Two cookbook. I want to show how everyday ingredients can become simple, hearty meals for two, using what you already have on hand.

This little pantry reminds me that every homestead starts somewhere. You don't need a magazine-worthy pantry to begin. You simply need a willingness to prepare, organize, and use what you have.

So if your pantry is small like mine, don't be discouraged. Fill it one shelf at a time. One grocery trip at a time. One garden harvest at a time. Before long, you'll look back and realize just how far you've come.

Because in the end, a small pantry really can feed a big dream.

🌻 Bloom where you're planted. – The Oklahoma Homestead Woman

Comments