DOWN THOSE OLD CEDAR STEPS
A Place Where Memories Were Preserved Right Alongside the Food
There are some places in life that stay with you forever.
For me, it's an old concrete cellar.
Most people would probably drive right past it without giving it a second thought. They'd see an old weathered building with a wooden door and wonder what it was used for. But when I look at it, I don't just see concrete walls and a flight of stairs. I see a lifetime of memories.
As a little girl, those stairs seemed so steep. Every trip down felt like entering another world. With each step, the air became cooler until you reached the bottom. It didn't matter if it was the hottest day of summer or the coldest day of winter—it stayed about the same temperature all year long.
It was our family's pantry before pantries were common.
The shelves were lined with jars of food that had been grown in the garden and preserved with hard work. Green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, pickles, peaches, and so much more waited patiently for the day they would be carried back upstairs and placed on the dinner table.
Nothing was wasted.
Every jar represented a season of planting, weeding, harvesting, canning, and praying the lids sealed properly.
When I started canning, I understood those shelves in a whole new way. I remember noticing that the damp air in the cellar would sometimes leave a little rust on the lids. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. Families all across the country depended on places like this to carry them through the seasons.
Years later, my son looked at that old cellar and simply called it "the grocery store."
I smiled because, in a way, he was exactly right.
Long before online grocery orders and twenty-four-hour supermarkets, the grocery store was built with shovels, gardens, sweat, and faith. Every jar on those shelves represented security. If a paycheck was short or a storm rolled in, there was still food waiting downstairs.
Looking at the old cellar today, it's quiet.
The shelves are empty, and the footsteps have long since faded. But if I close my eyes, I can still picture those rows of colorful jars. I can almost hear the door creak open and feel the cool air that greeted us every time we walked down those stairs.
That old cellar taught me something I've carried with me into my own homestead.
A well-stocked pantry isn't just about saving money. It's about providing for your family. It's about taking the harvest from today and preparing for tomorrow. It's about knowing that love can be packed into a Mason jar just as surely as green beans or peaches.
Those old concrete walls may no longer be filled with food, but they'll always be filled with memories.
And every time I see them, I'm reminded that some of life's greatest treasures aren't found in new things at all. They're found in the places where families worked together, shared meals, and built a life one season at a time.
Until next time...
Bloom Where You're Planted... and if life moves you, bloom there too. 🌻



Comments
Post a Comment