New Faces in the Brooder

 New Faces in the Brooder


The Oklahoma Homestead Woman




There was a little extra excitement around the homestead this week. After visiting a local poultry auction, I came home with some new feathered friends that I've been wanting to add to my flock—Lavender Orpingtons and Black Copper Marans.


Of course, my first thought the next morning was, "I need pictures for the blog!" The chicks, however, had other ideas.


Trying to photograph baby chicks is a lot like trying to photograph toddlers. The moment you focus the camera, they decide it's time to run, flap, peck, or hide behind another chick. I may not have gotten perfect pictures, but I did capture something even better—the everyday life of a busy brooder.


Watching them explore their new home has been so much fun. The Lavender Orpingtons already stand out with their soft gray fluff and calm personalities, while the Black Copper Marans are easy to spot with their darker coloring. Mixed in with my other chicks and ducklings, the brooder is full of tiny peeps, busy feet, and curious little beaks.


Every time I add a new breed, I think about the future. These little chicks will grow into beautiful birds that will become part of our homestead story. The Black Copper Marans will one day reward us with their famous deep chocolate-colored eggs, and I'm looking forward to watching the Lavender Orpingtons grow into the gentle, beautiful chickens they're known to be.


Building a homestead doesn't happen overnight. It happens one project, one garden bed, one chick, and one dream at a time.


Sometimes people only see the finished coop or the basket of fresh eggs. They don't always see the tiny fluff balls running around the brooder, the daily chores, or the excitement of bringing home new additions. Those little moments are what make this journey so special.


I'm grateful you're following along as this little Oklahoma homestead continues to grow. I have a feeling these new chicks are going to have quite a few stories to tell before they're all grown up.


Until next time…


Bloom Where You're Planted... and if life moves you, bloom there too. 🌻🐓

Comments